Oh, Oh, Someone Has a Sore Throat (And How I Dealt With It)

8:22 AM Posted by jo

This is my oldest son Robin. He is 16 years old, and he is a junior at the local high school. This is the football season and there's no time to be home sick. When he came home from practice last night he said he felt little under the weather. He had a sore throat and felt congested.

 We seldom get sick. The times when we do feel somewhat under the weather only lasts for a short while without developing into something serious.

 I started by giving him an echinacea blend a couple of days ago as a preventative measure when he mentioned that many were absent due to sickness. Ultimate Echinacea is often my first choice when something is going around. I normally don't just take it as a preventative measure, our immune systems are pretty good so I am not afraid of germs. However, Robin is away from home all day. He also practices several hours of football after school which puts a lot of pressure on his body. Which means he requires a lot more nutrients which is hard to provide when he is gone so long. It is football season and it is pretty serious when you play on Varsity. There's no time to be sick.

As mentioned above, last night Robin had a sore throat and he was congested. He gargled a Silver  for 6 minutes, which is what it takes to kill of the germs. Robin decided to  inhale our favorite antimicrobial essential oil blend, and he also put some on his sinuses.  We also have a Respiratory congestion blend which I successfully use for my dog's congestion due to allergies. The antimicrobial blend has become the favorite and my children love the spicy smell.  At this point I also switched out the Ultimate Echinacea for the  herbal blend CCA instead. Robin took CCA frequently last night to activate the healing. Lots of onion, garlic and hot peppers were as usual added to dinner as well. My youngest children would have enjoyed a cup of tea with raw honey and lemon juice/essential oil, but Robin only drinks tea if he absolutely needs it. I did give him a glass of water with a couple of drops of lemon essential oils added.

It's Friday Night Lights! (Well later today it is.) Robin woke up and is all well and ready for tonight's game. He did inhale some antimicrobial blend this morning, took some Silver, added extra amount of ascorbic acid to his morning shake in addition to his regular supplements. And off he went to school feeling pretty good. There are times he wishes mom and dad didn't know so much about healing, once he complains we always have something to make him feel better. There are not too many sick days on his report card.

We have wonderful weather this fall. It is still in the 80's and Robin feeling under the weather took me by surprise. I guess the weather tricked me and I haven't made my special immune boosting soup yet. I made the Master Tonic a while back  which we are out of already. I think I have to make more. As you can see though, it only took a short while for Robin to recover and it never developed into full blown cold or flu.

We do focus on health building, and I add plenty of garlic, hot peppers, onions, herbs, and vegetables to my cooking. We avoid processed food, refined products, and other chemicals. I use natural ingredients when I clean, so I try to minimize our exposure to toxins that weaken the immune system. I also believe some supplementation is needed.

I diffuse antiseptic essential oils daily to kill off germs. I added the antimicrobial blend to my diffuser last night which is also what I am diffusing as I speak.

Before you leave:

I recommend that you always perform a skin patch test when you try a new oil.


Check out my safety page to make sure you are aware of any contrindications before you use essential oils. Some oils are not suitable when suffering from certain conditions. AlsoRead this Before You Start Using Essential oils. Some oils should not be applied prior to sun exposure so make sure you check this list before spending time in the sun.

Not sure how to apply the oils? Visit these pages to learn how to apply the oils:
If you're new to essential oils you might want to check out my Getting Started Guide. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna is an aromatherapist and she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 
Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.





  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes