Classic Creamy Cole Slaw for the Season's First BBQ

10:52 AM Posted by jo


Today is my husband's birthday so we decided to celebrate it yesterday together with some friends. The weather was great so we decided it was a good day to barbecue some tri tip. When it is a larger get- together I make my creamy cole slaw, most people like cole slaw and it is easy to double the recipe to make a lot. I do have another recipe I'll make a lot for ourselves but it is not as popular among friends. It is made with my homemade, full of garlic dressing, apples, cranberries and cabbage and it is not very sweet. We love it but I noticed most prefer this sweeter and creamier cole slow instead. We love this cole slow too since it is very yummy tasting.

I didn't make my usual grain free Torta Caprese, or Chocolate Almond torte, this year. My neighbor wanted to give my husband a cake for his birthday so I thought it was so sweet of her. She always buys her cakes at Whole Foods so I knew that cake would be pretty good. Believe me, the cake was delicious! I tasted like a European cake and it was very moist and not too sweet. The frosting was made of Mascarpone cheese and the filling was a mixture of the frosting and fresh berries. 


The cake was just as delicious as it looks.
I've had this recipe for the cole slaw since I lived in Europe years ago and don't remember where I got it from. It might have been from Martha Stewart. I double the dressing and I use almost 1 and half cabbage. 

Classic Creamy Cole Slaw
1 tbl. Dijon mustard
1 tbl. cider vinegar
1tbl. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbl. sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 sour cream
1 small green cabbage, finely shredded. I use a mixture or red and green cabbage.
2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
1 small onion (optional), coarsely grated

Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Can be refrigerated up to 2 days.
Put cabbage, carrots, and onion in a bowl. Pour in dressing, toss around, cover and refrigerate until slow begins to soften after 1 -2 hours. Can be in the fridge up to 2 days.

Next time I make my other cole slaw I share the recipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna is an aromatherapist and she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 

Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.




  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes