A Simpe But Delicious Salad With a Powerful Dressing

1:08 PM Posted by jo



My salads are very simple this time of the year since I slow cook meat, vegetables, herbs and spices so we get a lot of nutrients from the main dish. Since the main dish itself is a powerhouse of nutrients I'm happy to just add a few things to my salad. I love olives so I try to include olives as often as I can. Today before the main course  I just served a simple but delicious salad of greens, onion, goat cheese and olives.

I re-use my old bottles for my dressing.

I can't remember the last time that I bought a salad dressing. This is by far my favorite salad dressing and it is a very powerful dressing. I've learned this recipe from Tracy Holly from the Cory Holly Institute. It is full of garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. According to Steven Horne, garlic is probably one of the most valuable natural alternative to antibiotics available. An anti-microbial and pungent compound called allicin is released when the garlic is crushed. Horne says garlic is anti-viral and as such is helpful for colds and congestion. He also says garlic is helpful in combating parasitic and fungal infections. Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system. Lemon also counteracts the acidity and makes the stomach more alkaline. It also stimulates the action of the white blood corpuscles. It also has a tonic effect on the circulatory system.

Salad dressing ( I always double the recipe)
Mix in a glass jar:
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 juice from freshly squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
6 cloves of freshly grated garlic

 Put the lid on the glass jar and shake. Taste it and if you want it more tart, add more lemon juice, and if you want it more oily, then add more olive oil. You can switch out the lemon juice with apple cider vinegar or or balsamic vinegar. You can also switch out the olive oil for flax seed oil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna is an aromatherapist she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 
Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.






This post is linked to:
Make Your Own Monday Link-Up
Monday Mania
Ruth's Real Food 101 
Fat Tuesday 
Better Mom Mondays Link-Up 
Domestically Divine 
Traditional Tuesday
Healthy 2Day Wednesday 
Real Food Wednesday 
Allergy Free Wednesday 
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways 
Simple Lives Thursday 
Thriving on Thursdays 
Full Plate Thursdays
Freaky Friday
Friday Food
Seasonal Celebrations Sunday
Sunday School Blog Carnival

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes