Natural Hair Care - My Essential Oil Hair Tonic

11:38 AM Posted by jo



I made this hair tonic when I lived in Sweden many years ago. The cold and long winter affected my hair negatively and it was very dull. The scalp was also very dry and I started to lose more hair than normal. Naturally, in order to have a healthy skin and hair you have to start from the inside with nutritious food. If your hair that doesn't improve with dietary changes and applied aromatherapy treatments, then you need to figure out what else is causing your problem. Mineral and vitamin deficiencies and/or hormonal imbalances may be the cause.

The essential oils I used in the blend, rosemary, cedarwood, and basil, are known for their beneficial properties in hair care.

When experiencing dandruff the glands are inactive and do not produce enough oils. Essential oils can increase the amount of oils produced by stimulating the oil glands. The oils increase the circulation, and bring arterial blood to the tissues.

Hair loss may be caused by vitamin deficiencies, stress, over shampooing, or even thyroid or pituitary deficiencies. Essential oils penetrate deep in the dermal layer of the skin due to their molecular weight, and they are able to nourish the areas where the hair follicles are located. Regular use of essential oils may stimulate and nourish new hair growth by increasing circulation.


Hair Tonic Blend
30 drops Basil, Ocimum basilicum
20 drops Cedarwood, Cedrus atlantica
20 drops Rosemary, Rosmarinus officinalis

I mixed the oils and applied three drops to the scalp for two weeks. I made the mistake by adding the oils to the scalp right at bed time, which was not a good idea since these oils kept me awake. I made sure I applied the blend earlier in the evening after that discovery.
I chose these oils because:

Cedarwood is a circulatory stimulant and assists in increasing the circulation to the scalp. This has historically made cedarwood an excellent oil for dandruff and hair loss. It's anti-fungal action is also beneficial since dandruff may be caused by fungal infections.

Rosemary is a calcefacient and a vasodilator. It's vasodilator action causes dilation of the blood vessels, and increases the circulation. The calcefacient action also increases the capillary circulation. This makes rosemary a powerful circulatory stimulant, and has traditionally been a perfect choice for hair loss and dandruff. 

Basil has stimulant, tonic, and anti-fungal properties. As a stimulant basil will increase the energy and the functional activity in the body. Basil has historically been used for dandruff as well as hair loss. The tonic action has traditionally restored the luster to hair. 

I applied three drops into the scalp at night and the aroma is very intense right after it is applied. You will most likely feel a tingling sensation for a short while as well.

I noticed that my hair looked shinier after a few days, and it had a different glow to it. The dandruff was more stubborn to get rid off, and it took about a week or so before the dandruff on my scalp disappeared. I stopped losing hair.

I also added the same essential oils to an un-scented shampoo. These oils can also be added to apple cider vinegar and used as a hair rinse.

This formula worked for me. It is important to remember that what works for one may not work for the other. The root cause to the problem may be different. I modified my diet at the same time, and I also added some extra supplements. 

These oils may be contraindicated in certain conditions so please check my essential oil safey page to make sure these oils are suitable for you. Natural Hair Care with Essential Oils has more great tips for using essential oils. Why No Poo Method is Healthier for You will share information on why it is healthier to ditch the commercialized shampoos in favor of the No Poo Method. Stay tuned for my next post about natural hair care which is about hot oil treatment.



Before you leave:


I recommend that you always perform a skin patch test when you try a new oil.


Check out my safety page to make sure you are aware of any contrindications before you use essential oils. Some oils are not suitable when suffering from certain conditions. AlsoRead this Before You Start Using Essential oils. Some oils should not be applied prior to sun exposure so make sure you check this list before spending time in the sun.

Not sure how to apply the oils? Visit these pages to learn how to apply the oils:
If you're new to essential oils you might want to check out my Getting Started Guide. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna is an aromatherapist she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 

Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.






  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes