How to Make a Quick Infused Calendula/Lavender/ Chamomile Facial Toner

8:44 AM Posted by jo



 Yesterday I made an herbal infusion of dried lavender, calendula and chamomile. I used some of it for my high antioxidant oxygenating facial gel but I still had plenty left. I like  simple things that are quick and easy to make, so I used the rest of the infusion for a facial toner.

A toner is used to remove all traces of the cleanser. Act as a gentle astringent, brighten the skin, heal the skin, and restore the acidity level. Floral waters, purified water, and herbal infusions can be used to make a toner.

The best floral waters are byproducts of essential oils distillation. There are several different floral waters available and they can also be used as facial sprays on hot days to freshen the skin. They can be used without adding extra essential oils.

Common floral waters are:
Rose: Ideal for all skin types as a freshener or toner.
Orange Flower:  Ideal for combination and sensitive skin types.
Chamomile: Ideal for sensitive, dry and inflamed skin.
Witch hazel: Astringent and ideal for oily skin.

If you don't have access to or want to use floral water, you can use water or herbal infusions instead.

The standard recipe for a facial toner is:

  • 4 oz. water or herbal infusion
  • 1 teaspoon dispersant like aloe vera or vegetable oil
  • 5 drops of essential oils - (I added 4 drops of lavender and 1 drop of geranium.)
  •  -Mix the essential oil with the dispersant and add to the liquid.  The dispersant is used to dissolve the essential oil.
I used the left over herbal infusion from yesterday. The herbs are powerful to use on their own and don't need to be blended. I like to blend them and I also use the herbal infusions for a regular spray. Ask my dog, she is not too happy about me spraying her down with it. It works wonders for her itching and scratching this time of the year. I use it when my son is bruised up from football, or when my youngest children get some minor injuries from playing outside.


Calendula itself has anti-inflammatory, astringent, vulnerary, emollient, antifungal and antiseptic properties. It has traditionally been used for wounds, diaper rash, stings, warts, varicose veins, fungal infections,abscesses, cold sores, bruises, cuts, sprains, sores, scar tissue, muscle soreness and more.


Lavender has traditionally been used for eczema, burns, acne, wounds, insect bites, minor cuts and scrapes. It's anti-inflammatory and soothing properties have a balancing effect on the skin. It's cytophylactic, which means it encourage growth of skin cells, is ideal for mature skin and treatment of burns.  Other oils with cytophylactic properties that stimulate the  generation of new skin cells and preserve the health and beauty of the skin are: frankincense, everlasting, rosewood, sandalwood, myrrh and patchouli.
Lavender is not only one of the oils with the strongest cytophylactic property, but it is also one of the more inexpensive oils.

  Lavender's calming properties are a plus also in this stressful world. For the optimal use of lavender I suggest the use of the essential oil as well since it is more potent.

I think many are familiar with the soothing and calming chamomile. Tea is often made of chamomile to soothe both stomach and nerves. The flowers have traditionally been used to treat rashes, and skin irritations. It has  anti-inflammatory properties. The essential oil of chamomile is more commonly used for skin care products and it also has anti-microbial properties. Chamomile can cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals. Individuals allergic to ragweed should take extra caution.



I also make an infused calendula oil which I use as stand alone remedy, or I add some to my herbal spray. Sometimes when children are playing it is not convenient  to apply a greasy oil. I often add some drops of Silver shield and/or  various essential oils to the spray.



Follow me on twitter and facebook

.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes