Scrubs from the Kitchen Pantry

1:06 PM Posted by jo

Exfoliation treatment is the first and most important treatment in body care. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells, dirt and debris and rancid oils from the skin. Exfoliation makes sure that moisturizers and nutrients are better absorbed.

There is no reason to go and buy expensive exfoliates from the stores, there are plenty of things in your kitchen cabinet that will do the job . Coarse salt, ground up nuts, sugar, oatmeal or other grains can be used in body or facial scrubs. I also like to add natural yogurt, honey and brewer's yeast to my facial scrub.


When my skin is dry I like to mix sugar, vegetable glycerin and essential oils together and use as a scrub. Aloe Vera can be added to the blend for additional benefit. You can substitute the glycerin with vegetable oil if you don't have any glycerin at home.
You can also blend Epsom salt with vegetable oil or liquid  soap for a great salt glow blend. Add suitable essential oils to the blend. Just remember not to use any body scrubs on skin rashes, abrasions or cuts.

Here is a basic recipe for a body scrub:
Sea Salt 1/4 cup
Medium-ground cornmeal or other 1/4 cup
Vegetable Oil 1/3 cup
Essential Oils 10 drops ( Check out Oils For Skin Care)
Mix the cornmeal and the salt together. Mix the essential oils with the vegetable oil and add to the salt mixture.

This is a messy scrub so you better stand in the shower or in the tub. Rub it in with circular movements and work towards the towards the heart. Rinse the body but don't use any soap.

Facial Scrub
I like to make the following facial scrub but it is not necessary to have all the ingredients. Nowadays I don't always follow recipes and I add as I feel like. I am careful though so I don't overdo it with the essential oils, and I also make sure I use the right kind of oils. If you are unsure about what oils are suitable read my Essential Oil Safety Post.

1 teaspoon fine or medium -ground oatmeal
1 teaspoon finely ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon brewer's yeast, optional
Enough mineral water or floral water to make a paste. I often use an herbal infusion or regular distilled water.
3 drops of essential oils, I like to use lavender.

Mix cornmeal, oatmeal yogurt, honey, and brewer's yeast. Add enough water to make a paste, add the essential oil. Apply to the face, massage gently in circular movements.

As you can see, skin care doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes