What are essential oils?
Essential oils are liquid extracts distilled from plants such as flowers, trees, and aromatic herbs. They provide protection for the plants by repelling harmful insects. They are very concentrated and it takes about one plant or more to produce one drop of oil. Their pleasant aromas are known to balance moods, lift spirits, get rid of negative emotions, and to create a romantic atmosphere. The essential oils are more than just a pleasant aroma. Historically, they have been used to kill viruses, fungi, and bacteria.
If you haven't tried essential oils, I recommend that you do. Here are some good reasons why I think you should try them:
- Essential oils are anti-fungal, antiviral, anti-macrobial, anti-parasitic, anti-infectious, and antiseptic. They may combat infectious disease by killing off viruses, bacteria or other pathogens. Some oils have been shown to destroy all tested viruses and bacteria.
- The essential oils can act on both the mind and the body. The aroma can be stimulating both psychologically and physically. The aroma can also be very calming and sedating. Inhaling the aroma is very powerful. Aromatic stimuli of the limbic system cause the release of neurotransmitters, including pain-reducing encephalin, pleasure-producing endorphins, relaxing serotonin, and stimulating noradrenaline.
- Essential oils are some of the most powerful known antioxidants. This is determined by an ORAC test developed by Tuft University.
- The essential oils are capable of penetrating the cell membranes since they are lipid-soluble. According to Jean Valnet, MD, essential oils can affect every cell of the body within 20 minutes, and are then metabolized like other nutrients.
- Essential oils may detoxify the cells and the blood in the body.
- Essential oils have a nice aroma, and they may purify the air by eliminating odors from cooking, animals, mold, bacteria and other sources.
- Essential oils are small enough that they can penetrate the tissues of the skin.
- According to researchers at Vienna University, essential oils stimulate blood flow, which increases nutrient and oxygen delivery.
- One advantage is the many ways essential oils can be administered. Two of the most popular methods of administration are topical application and inhalation. When applied topically and inhaled, the essential oils are almost immediately absorbed into the blood stream. Inhaled oils don’t go through the digestive system, so they work immediately in the body.
- The essential oils’ versatility makes them fairly inexpensive to use. One bottle goes along way and it can be used for so many things. The same essential oil can be used for skin care, healing, perfume, cleaning, children, pet care, and emotional health.
When you think about all the amazing benefits that essential oils have, you realize that you get a lot for your money when you buy an essential oil. One essential oil has several therapeutic properties and act on both mind and body. You pay roughly 20-40 dollars for a high quality essential oil that has multiple therapeutic properties. You can use the same bottle for cleaning the house, purifying the air, for healing, and for skin and body care.
According to this article, a year’s treatment with several medications could cost up to $3000 back in 2005. Doesn’t it sound like a better deal to learn more about the healing essential oils and other natural remedies?
Before you leave:
I recommend that you always perform a skin patch test when you try a new oil.
Check out my safety page to make sure you are aware of any contrindications before you use essential oils. Some oils are not suitable when suffering from certain conditions. Also, Read this Before You Start Using Essential oils. Some oils should not be applied prior to sun exposure so make sure you check this list before spending time in the sun.
Not sure how to apply the oils? Visit these pages to learn how to apply the oils:
- Topical Application
- Inhaling Essential Oils
- Are You Diffusing the Oils Correctly?
- How to Dilute Essential Oils
- Vita Flex Technique
If you're new to essential oils you might want to check out my Getting Started Guide.
Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Mop it Up Monday, Natural Living Monday, Motivation Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, The Gathering Spot, Healthy Tuesday Hop, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Party Wave Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Wellness Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Natural Living Link Up