Awesome Nice and Spicy Pot Roast

8:00 AM Posted by jo



I love meat and I couldn't imagine a life without eating meat. I finally ditched the grains and starchy potatoes, and now I enjoy my meat with vegetables and fat only. It has made a huge difference in how I feel. I didn't eat much grains or dairy prior to going on the Paleo diet, but it was obvious that grains and dairy didn't agree with me.

I like things simple whether it is cooking food or making my own skin care products.

 I made this pot roast yesterday and it was very yummy:
I mixed roughly 1 teaspoon (probably more) each of ground cumin, chili powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, and paprika and coated the roast with these spices.




I browned the roast in plenty of coconut oil, and added:
  • 4 large celery stalks cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 4 large carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
  • a couple of yellow onions cut into wedges (the original recipe called for 1 large white onion)

I sauteed the vegetables for five minutes or before I poured in:
  • a couple of cups of homemade beef stock (the recipe called for 1 cup chicken stock and 1 cup Marsala wine).
I brought it to a boil, reduced the heat and let it simmer for a couple of hours or so. I stirred once in a while, mostly because I wanted to inhale the wonderful intoxicating aroma. (Ok, I'm an aromatherapist..)


We enjoyed an assortment of vegetables prior to the main meal. This was plenty for us yesterday, and the broth is high in fat and very filling. Even though I didn't include potatoes  I never felt like I was missing out. Actually, I used to feel more hungry afterwards when I used to eat similar dishes with rice or potatoes.

Our dinners are not that big since we eat more frequently during the day. Other times for dinner we add stuffed tomatoes, bell peppers or zucchini as a side dish or appetizer. Spaghetti squash makes a nice side dish for meat as well.




Thanks for visiting!


 


Johanna is an aromatherapist and she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 

Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information. Don't forget to explore her new aromatherapy new blog.






This post is linked up to Fight Back Friday hosted by the Food Renegade and  to WFMW hosted by We Are That Family.

I am a Food RENEGADE!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes