Use Essential Oils as Prevention Instead of Waiting Until You Get Sick

3:28 PM Posted by jo




I think essential oils should be used  in every home during cold and flu season since they are very important in fighting many types of infectious disease.  Essential oils are some of the most  powerful anti-microbials known today. It's already September and many are already sick with the flu. I use essential oils as prevention to boost the immune system so I don't get sick, and I very seldom get sick since I started using essential oils as prevention. 


Be ahead of the game and use them before you need them. Be creative in how you use the essential oils during this time of the year:

How to use essential oils when someone is sick

There are different things you can do if you get sick. Here are some of the things that I do:
  • At the first sign of a stuffy nose I inhale deeply straight from the bottle. I also diffuse appropriate oils in my diffuser
  • I mix the essential oils with massage oil and apply on affected areas such as chest, sinuses, or back
  • I add a few drops on a handkerchief and inhale deeply. Sometimes I put 2 or more drops into the palm of my left hand, rub clockwise with the flat palm of my right hand. Cup your hands together over the nose and mouth and inhale deeply. Don’t touch your eyes!
  • My son successfully cleared congested sinuses within a few hours by doing steam inhalations with anti-viral and expectorant oils. Add a few drops of oil to a bowl of warm but not boiling water. Inhale the steaming vapors from the bowl. To increase intensity, drape a towel over your head and bowl before inhaling.
  • I add a few drops to drinking water and gargle for a few minutes if I have a sore throat. I only do this with oils I trust and I don't swallow. Check with your essential oil provider first before you gargle.
  • I often add essential oils to the Vita Flex points on the bottom of the feet. This is especially useful for children since some oils may be too strong to apply on other parts of the body.
  • I used to drop cypress under my daughter’s pillow when we lived in Wales several years ago when she was coughing a lot due to moist weather.


Before you leave:


I recommend that you always perform a skin patch test when you try a new oil.


Check out my safety page to make sure you are aware of any contrindications before you use essential oils. Some oils are not suitable when suffering from certain conditions. AlsoRead this Before You Start Using Essential oils. Some oils should not be applied prior to sun exposure so make sure you check this list before spending time in the sun.

Not sure how to apply the oils? Visit these pages to learn how to apply the oils:
If you're new to essential oils you might want to check out my Getting Started Guide. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johanna is an aromatherapist and she is passionate about educating people about health, essential oils, real food, natural remedies, and nutrition so they make healthier choices in their lives. 
Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.







This post is linked to:
Wildcrafting Wednesday
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes