Starting off the day with the right food
Our day often starts with leftovers from previous night's dinner, which could include things such as pieces of chicken, steak, or fish. We add a piece of fruit, sliced avocados, some tomatoes or similar things. Sometimes we eat eggs in various ways. This kind of breakfast lasts us quite a long time. It also makes sure that the blood sugar is stabilized so we don't get hungry within an hour again.
High protein snacks are great for satisfying a growing and hungry child so I make sure I include sufficient amount of protein. I try to make it simple, so here are some of the things we use for snacks:
- Jerky with or without some fruits. I haven't made my own yet but I am planning on it.
- turkey with avocados and some walnuts, almonds and/or cashews.
- lean beef slices with a couple of apricots/melon balls
- apple with raw almonds
- hard boiled eggs with mixed berries
- steamed broccoli topped with coconut oil and shredded meat such as turkey or chicken
- deviled eggs made with coconut oil, flax seed oil, and ginger instead of mayonnaise and mustard.
- veggies dipped in homemade salsa or guacamole
- cold meat such as london broil
- hard boiled eggs
- pureed banana and strawberries with coconut milk/oil - I freeze for a while before serving
- a variety of nuts
- slices of cantaloupe, some meat, and some nuts
- homemade un-sweetened applesauce
- unsweetened dried fruits.
I make sure that the protein is served with fat, fruit or vegetables. We also do certain smoothies/shakes for the whole family based on our workout and activity level. Baked yams are also included as part of our work out nutrition. More information about the grain/dairy/legume-free Paleo Diet for sports will come shortly.
Follow Johanna on twitter and facebook for more health tips and information.
his post is linked up to:
Simple Lives Thursday ,
Fight Back Friday hosted by the Food Renegade
Monday Mania hosted by The Healthy Home Economist
Real Food Wednesday hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop.
Fresh Bites Friday hosted by Real Food Whole Health
Allergy Friendly Lunch Box Love