Getting The Children Involved- Paola Made Swedish Cinnamon Rolls

8:50 AM Posted by jo



We limit our intake of grains, especially refined flours on a daily basis. We have adapted the Swedish custom of using Saturday as our treat day. This day is very special since we don't eat sugary things like candy or pastries, or other less healthy things on weekdays. Even though my children are allowed some treats on Saturdays, they are not allowed un-limited amount. We have a what the Swedes call fika, which is when we sit down together and enjoy some treats and something to drink. When the fika is over the treats are put away.


Paola, my 10 year old daughter, made cinnamon rolls for the family on our last treat day. 

Here is her story:

We usually eat fruit, nuts ands seeds,  or protein shakes for snacks, but on Saturdays we are allowed some special treats as snacks. Last time I made Swedish cinnamon rolls for the family by myself. We home make it so we can use healthier and organic ingredients like whole wheat flour and Rapunzel's Unrefined Cane sugar. Store bought food has chemicals that are bad for us.



First I melted one and a half stick of butter, once it was melted I added 2 cups of organic milk. I heated the liquid until luke warm. 
While the milk was heating up I added almost 5 cups of organic whole wheat flour, 1/2  a teaspoon of salt, half a cup of Rapunzel's unrefined sugar, one teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed in the Kitchen Aid. Once the dough was mixed I put it in warm water bath in the sink until it was doubled.





Then I kneaded the dough on a floured counter and added a little bit more flour. I divided the dough into two pieces and rolled each piece to a flat square that was about 1/3 inch thick. I spread each square with soft butter, sprinkled sugar and lots of cinnamon on top. After that I rolled each square to a log and cut each square into about 20-24 pieces. I put the pieces on cookie sheets and let them rise one more time for 20 minutes. Last I brushed with lightly beaten eggs and sprinkled Swedish pearl sugar on top. You can buy pearl sugar at IKEA.



By Paola

This post is linked to:
Fight Back FridayFoodie Friday Fresh Bites FridayThe Busy Bee'sAll Things Thursday Link UpTitus 2dayTitus 2 Tuesday
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes